Friday, April 3, 2015

DIY Moss Monogram Wreath

I've had the idea in my mind for a while that I really wanted to make a moss monogram to hang on our front door, but it wasn't until I popped into Michael's to buy origami paper that I decided to finally do it! It was simultaneously really easy and kinda not easy. I can't think of a way to tackle this without making a total mess, but the result (in my humble opinion) is kinda cute and different. You will need:
  • One letter (white, kraft, cardboard...if you can paint it and glue to it, it will work)
  • Green paint to camouflage for the moss
  • Adhesive moss
  • Exacto knife or scissors
  • Cutting mat or cardboard
  • Loose moss (these are available in craft stores)
  • Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks



First things first, I painted the letter green. No need to be precious about it; it's just going to get covered up.


Next, I laid my letter on top of a thick piece of cardboard and a sheet of adhesive moss and using my Exacto knife, carefully traced the letter into the moss. The next step is the TRICKIEST, so be careful. I made the mistake of removing all of the adhesive backing at once and almost immediately, the corners stuck together and there was nothing I could do to fix it. I ended up having to cut it out all over again using another sheet of adhesive moss. I would recommend carefully removing the backing bit by bit until the moss is placed directly on the letter.


Next, I played with my arrangement of types of moss before hot glueing each individual piece. That's tricky, too; those hot glue webs are unavoidable! Finally, I hot glued the ribbon (which I bought pre-tied...I'm no Martha Stewart!) and called it a day. It's far from perfect, but it definitely gave our door some spring cheer!


Next, I'm working on experimenting with arranging some decorative plants in some beautiful containers my mom bought for me...wish me luck, because I am decidedly not the best at watering plants!



No comments: