Wednesday, April 29, 2015

A Taste of India in Norfolk


When I was about 7, my family took me to an Indian cultural festival in New Jersey. I sipped sugarcane juice, bought bracelets and loved seeing the sculptures of Vishnu and Ganesh. I've always loved the Indian culture ever since, and when I saw that Norfolk is host to a festival called Taste of India every year, I told my husband, "Why do we make it a point to go to the Greek festival every year, but not to the Indian festival?"


The festival was held in the Ted Constant Convocation Center on the campus of Old Dominion University and it was so fun! There were plenty of Indian foods to try, an entire room of saris and tunics called kurtis and sparkly jewelry, and my favorite part: Bollywood-style dancing!!!!!!


Sugarcane juice was exactly as I remembered...throwback to childhood!


I tried Nawab's Chicken Makhani (butter chicken), which was a pretty safe choice on my part, but it was delicious just the same.


And Sean and I shared two scoops of pistachio (not my fave) and rose (delicious) Indian ice cream while we watched the Bhangra dance competition. I'm looking forward to possibly making it an annual tradition, just like going to the Greek festival. Since May is around the corner, it's definitely the festival season. If you're local, don't miss:

No comments: