Thursday, November 20, 2014

WE BOUGHT A HOUSE

Sean's face says it all. On Monday, we became homeowners. We are now completely responsible for a 1981 ranch that certainly shows its age and while we're certainly thrilled, we're also realistic about the many, many, MANY projects on the horizon.

Like raking the yard! I haven't had a chance to take pictures of some rooms yet, but here's a first peek at what we're working with:

 The front door opens onto a little foyer with linoleum floor that will hopefully soon be red oak hardwood.

 Take a left and you'll venture into the living/dining room. The previous owners did everything they could to make it feel like two distinct spaces, but I say don't bother in a room of this size. So with that in mind, we plan on knocking out the railing, removing the wallpaper (although possibly keeping the chair rail) and making it feel more like a dining room with an area for after-dinner drinks, rather than a dining room shoehorned into a living room. I also can't wait to get a sexier hanging lamp!

 From the living room, you proceed straight into the 1981 kitchen, complete with floral wallpaper.

I'm not the biggest fan of the kitchen, but we're going to live with it for at least six months before we decide what we want to do in terms of upgrading it. I expect a lot of pennies will be pinched.

 The kitchen overlooks a cavernous wood-paneled den that is seriously dark even during daylight. We're planning on putting down wood floors in that room, painting the paneling a crisp white and making that our main hangout spot. I'm excited to have a working fireplace this winter!

 The hall bathroom is in decent shape, but I'm not the biggest fan of the brown-on-brown tile. But needless to say, I have bigger projects to tackle first.

And wrapping up today's tour is a shot of the guest room, currently stuck in a lighthouse theme, but soon to feature my silhouette collection. 

Our next tour will feature my future studio/office, the master bed and bath, and my favorite: the FROG (finished room over the garage for all those who don't speak realtor yet).

No comments: