Tuesday, December 3, 2013

DIY Star Christmas Wreath

As longtime readers might recall, I made a beautiful ruffled paper wreath a few years ago. It was surprisingly beautiful for how easy it was, but unfortunately it hasn't held up out in the elements so well. Over time, it's become a little discolored and lost a little of its shape. It seemed like the right time to try something new.

I considered several different DIY options, but wanted to draw inspiration from our other regular decor, which includes the glitter stars from my wedding. 

I went to A.C. Moore, where I bought a small "evergreen" wreath and then bought a bunch of mini star-shaped tree toppers and mini ornaments. I'm pretty sure I bought the entire section, and I think the check-out girl must think I have a mini-tree obsessive disorder.

 I tried to get a variety of colors and shapes to make it more visually interesting.

I used floral wire to connect the stars to the wreath and wreath frame. All told, the entire effort cost $23 and took about 45 minutes. Annnnnnnnnd.....

Voila! Now our front door is consistent with our indoors. And don't worry; the paper wreath is now hanging inside, where it's safe and sound!

No comments: