Thursday, May 30, 2013

Bison Burgers with Bourbon Onions

I've made your run-of-the-mill beef burgers, your turkey burgers and the occasional sirloin burger. But I have to say, the bison burger I made last night was one of my favorite burgers I've ever made at home! 

When I lived in Staunton a few years ago, it seemed like every restaurant in town had a bison burger. I didn't really know what advantages bison may or may not offer, but I knew it seemed exotic, so I ordered it all the time! 

 It turns out bison actually does offer a big advantage: it's extremely lean and still delicious! I accidentally overcooked these burgers a bit and they didn't suffer at all...not dry or flavorless remotely. I bought the bison meat, which was extremely affordable, at Harris Teeter.

 I didn't mix anything fancy into the patties, although I might consider adding onions just for kicks some time. I did add the following spices (mostly eyeballing the amounts) to each side of the patties: freshly ground pepper, salt, Cajun seasoning and garlic powder.

 I thought it would be fun to top my burger with bourbon onions...I accidentally burned mine, but they were still a tasty addition, along with Swiss cheese and my favorite Boar's Head Pepperhouse Gourmaise.

Sean, of course, topped his with one piece of lettuce. God bless him and his simple tastes.

No comments: