Monday, April 29, 2013

Take Me Out to the Ballgame!

Yesterday, I attended my very first pro baseball game! I've never been a huge baseball fan. I LOVE baseball movies, but watching a game on TV is like slow torture. But my husband's aunt, uncle and cousin are huge baseball fans and suggested a family outing to Washington's Nationals Park and I thought, what the hey, this could be fun.

And lo and behold, it was fun! We didn't win, but it was fun to watch in person and even more fun is the general all-Americana, family-friendly vibe. I loved seeing the president mascots race and singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and the hilarious vendor in our section who had his own gravelly, comical interpretation of "Peanuts, Beer, CRACK-ERRRRR JAAAAACCKKKK!" I'll hear it ringing in my mind forever.

 The stadium itself is really nice, with lots of good food options (we had Shake Shack!) and a nice area with fake grass where you can have a picnic.

 My favorite part was watching the players walk up to their choice of music. Jayson Werth was my jam...he has a hilariously grizzly beard and walked up to the themes from "The Walking Dead" and "Game of Thrones." One fan caught it on video a few weeks ago:


I decided my walk-up music would be "Heads Will Roll" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but I have several back-ups. ;)

All in all, it was a super fun time spent with family, followed by a delicious family-style Thai dinner. If I've learned anything about watching sports, it's that they're ALL better in person. Now I'm ready for Redskins season!

No comments: