Monday, December 10, 2012

Kielbasa with Poblanos

There are some dishes I've learned are pretty much sure-fire hits with Sean and by extension, most men in general. Irish stew. Spaghetti with meat sauce. Burgers. Steak. But when I made kielbasa with onions, poblano peppers and roasted potatoes the other night, Sean said I'd done it. I'd made his perfect meal. 

Sausage and peppers are a sort of no-fail mix. Usually I've made Italian sausage with bell peppers, but when I saw Bon Appetit's recipe for kielbasa and poblano peppers, I was intrigued. I think I might make the permanent switch!

Start by slicing up green peppers, poblano peppers and onions to suit your taste. Toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper. If you want to add potatoes to your dish, follow the directions here. Start by pre-heating your oven to 350.

On a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, place your peppers in the center and top with diagonal slices of kielbasa. Top with another sheet of foil and crimp into a tight packet.

Bake for about 25-30 minutes, so the peppers get soft and the potatoes get crispy.

Cut the packet open to release the air and expose the top, then turn on the broiler. Broil for about 5 minutes or until the kielbasa looks crispy. That's when you know it's gonna be good.

And voila! The man equivalent of catnip. It was delicious, and the poblanos weren't overwhelmingly spicy as I'd feared. The potatoes dull the spiciness a bit; I could do without them, but Sean appreciated their presence.

No comments: