Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Design Inspiration from Homearama 2012

 On Tuesday, some girlfriends and I headed out to Culpepper Landing in Chesapeake for Homearama 2012, an annual builders' association expo. We always love to go for decorating inspiration (and, let's be honest, to play house and be judgy). Although there was plenty I didn't love, there were so many things I did, and I thought I'd share some of them with you.

 Our very favorite house was House 2, the "Caramel Cottage." I was in love with the Craftsman-style entry, which also had a little mudroom area and...wait for it...

 A hidden safe behind a built-in bookshelf! Loved it!

 My husband HATES TVs over the fireplace, and for good reason, so I thought this was a great solution. **Side note: I think little bits of ivy stuck in every corner is the most annoying styling trick I see everywhere. Hate. it.

 In House 3, the "Cherry Blossom," I loved the gradient-striped nursery, which was also gender-neutral. The soft blues and greens, with a crystal ball light, could work for either gender and would easily work if the room needed to become a guest room down the line.

 In House 5, "The Heron's Nest," all of the bedrooms had window seats — living the dream!

 In the same house, an office ceiling was decorated with a compass. That could be really sweet in an explorer-themed nursery, don't you think?

 We were all head-over-heels for the Moroccan-inspired tile backsplash in the "Made in America" home.

 I first saw this idea in Domino Magazine years ago, but it never gets old. Use an old china cabinet as shoe storage! Easy access, but elevated to art level.

 They drilled tiny holes in these antique bottles and mounted them to the wall for a sweet little art installation.

 I also loved this wood shelving unit...perfect for a dreamy reading area or super amazing playroom.

 I loved the creative fabric interplay in this pelmet, which pulled the whole space together.

Melissa and I gasped when we saw the chevron-tiled bathroom. I keep thinking I'm over chevrons, but they're my weakness.

 At the end of the tour, we voted House #2 our absolute favorite, so we hopped back over there to snag some extra shots. I love when space isn't wasted, like the space under the sink! This is a perfect spot for sponges and brushes.

 Plates always make great art, especially in dining rooms.

 I loved the fabric mix in this screened-in porch.

I usually don't like super cavernous high-ceilinged bedrooms, but this was just breathtaking. Every doorway had transoms, too, which always add charm to a home — new or old.

But at the end of the day, sometimes Mother Nature provides the best decoration inspiration. We've seen some amazing pink sunsets in Hampton Roads lately!

No comments: