Monday, May 30, 2011

Perfect Picnic Dinner for Outdoor Movies


On Friday, I had one of those nights where everything I love collided into a picture-perfect evening. My sweet friends and husband agreed to join me to watch one of my favorite old movies, "The Philadelphia Story," under the stars on the grounds of the Hermitage Museum, a gorgeous mansion located on the North Shore of Norfolk. It was the perfect spot to watch the movie, which stars Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn and Jimmy Stewart.

Picnics, I think, are particularly difficult to pack. Eating outdoors is, for some reason, a great treat, but you have to think about food that keeps well, packs well and pleases a wide range of palates. I think we might have landed on a close to perfect menu.


For discreet sipping, you can't beat the canned Sofia champagne. It comes with a straw!



 Enjoying the spread! We had BLTs, salad, cherries, cheese and crackers, lemon pirouette cookies, longboard chips and onion dip from Trader Joe's, pita chips and hummus. Honestly, it was too much food, but that's better than too little!


I prepped the BLTs the night before, pre-slicing the bread, the tomatoes and the lettuce and then had Sean cook the bacon 20 minutes before we left. After that, all that needed to happen was assemble the sandwiches!


I also bought a mini jar from World Market and mixed mayo and pesto for a special mayonnaise option.


And packed the picnic basket with peach Izze and Lorina French sparkling lemonades.


The salad is my new favorite, a concoction Miranda served at our last wine club, so I'm dubbing it "Salad Miranda." It's arugula, sliced strawberries, shaved parmesan and champagne vinaigrette. It's tangy and sweet and spicy all at once, and delicious.


All in all, it was a delicious feast and everything kept well and traveled well. I hope we'll be able to make it to some of the other outdoor movies this summer!

No comments: