Monday, May 3, 2010

Charlottesville Eats

I have to apologize for dragging my feet last week. You know how going out of town for only a couple of days throws your whole life into a tailspin? That was me. Couldn't seem to get anything done. But to tempt you on your lunch hour, I thought I'd share some shots from my weekend in Charlottesville, which I spent with my amazing bridesmaids. I seriously can't say enough about how that weekend really affirmed my love for my friends, my excitement for my wedding and my deep obsession with shopping.

We had breakfast at the Charlottesville institution Bodo's Bagels, which is known for its amazing bagel sandwiches. Sarah's, at the top, had a feta cream cheese spread and cucumbers, which sounds so refreshing on a hot day like today.

Ashleigh's, shown above, had three cheeses and tomato on a poppy seed bagel. I had a salt bagel, which was kind of like eating a pretzel sandwich. Yummy, but maybe a bit too much sodium!

While shopping at Barrack's Road, we pit-stopped at Greenberry's, a coffee chain headquartered in C-ville. I had the mocha mint shake, which the cute barista dude (I wish you could call male coffee makers barristers, but that's already taken) apologized for making too liquidy. Whatevs! It was perfect.

We finished up with dinner at The Nook on the Downtown Mall. It's an authentic '40s restaurant; the whole time we were there I felt like I was having lunch on the set of a Katharine Hepburn/Spencer Tracy picture. The cuisine is comfort food and the portions are HUGE.

Ashleigh and Katie peruse the menus.

I had tomato basil mac and cheese; lordy, it was a lot of food. I barely made a dent before I was stuffed! But it was delicious.

On Sunday, three of us finished out the weekend with mimosas and brunch at Rapture, which becomes a club at night.

I had the monte cristo with strawberry jam. It was very decadent; if you've never had one, it's a ham, turkey, American cheese and Swiss cheese sandwich that is then battered and deep-fried. It should be renamed a heart attack. Rapture's was good, but the one at Cheddar's is better.

Finally, Katie got her New Orleans on and had an omelette with andouille sausage. Mmmm.

I promise we did more than eat, but I've pledged to be a good guide of weekend travel in Virginia. Charlottesville has LOTS more to offer than food; it's a perfect weekend travel destination for good shopping, good eating, sight-seeing (Thomas Jefferson's home is there) and preppy styling (we were there the weekend of Foxfield, an annual horse race that brings the seersucker suits out in full force).

3 comments:

ashleigh t. said...

I want a monte cristo now! Thanks!

Micah - Coffee machine said...

Gosh, I would love to try Monte Cristo... but it sure is not good for the heart.. =)

ashleigh t. said...

I had to look up this blog because I wanted bodos bagels!