Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Gorgonzola Tortellini

This recipe will not change your world, but it might shake up your weeknight cooking.

I love alfredo, but that gets old. I had a wedge of gorgonzola cheese that I intended to use for homemade pizza, but that wasn't going to happen. Instead, I made a gorgonzola sauce that was a tasty alternative to your standard alfredo sauce and paired well with cheese tortellini for a dish I'd like to call, "UNHEALTHY CHEESY CREAMY CARB EXPLOSION!!!"

First off, I grated my gorgonzola. Gorgonzola is typically crumbled, but I wanted the cheese to melt quickly, so grating was the way to go.

Meanwhile, I boiled the tortellini and melted butter in a skillet.

I added a cup of cream to the melted butter and tossed in the gorgonzola, then let the sauce reduce by about a third.

Add the tortellini to the sauce and toss to cover.

Done and done!

Gorgonzola is a strong blue cheese, so a sauce of it is not for the faint of heart. But if you like that tang, you will enjoy this dish, which is just as easy as any other weeknight pasta dish but adds a little sophistication.

1 comment:

Diane said...

You're trying to kill me, aren't you? This looks amazing.