Thursday, September 24, 2009

From the Holcomb Test Kitchen

Since I haven't been doing any cooking, I'm very grateful my friend Sarah sent me a recipe for garlic herb cheese spread to share! 

Cheese spread in the food processor.

Bagels with a schmear.

Topped with shredded cheese.


And ready to devour!

Sarah's Garlic and Herb Cheese Spread
Ingredients:
  • 16 oz cream cheese, softened. 
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed.
  • 2 tsps dried parsley
  • 1 tsp. dried chives.
  • 1 tsp. dried dill
  • 1/2 tsp. dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme

Add salt to taste, if needed. 

Directions:
Blend by hand or food processor, then spread on bagels (or anything else). Enjoy!


"When I was looking at going to college at Mary Washington in Friedricksburg, my roommate, Marie and I came to an Einstein Bagels for lunch. I got the pizza bagel and she got the garlic and herb pizza bagel. Basically, it was heaven on a bagel. Ever since then, I've been obsessed with trying to figure out how to create the garlic spread. Thus the searches online for a good spread. I finally found one, though I can't find the website anymore. 

I made half of all this recently and it was still just as good. Though, I have a tendency to leave out the sour cream and use the Parmesan cheese from the container. It gives it more of a spread or schmear consistency then. Also, that much dill might be too much, I know it is for me. Usually I will switch the basil and the dill measurements. I've also learned that if you let it set a little bit, the flavors meld so much better. 

Whenever I make this, I spread it on bagels, then top the bagels with shredded cheese. Then I pop them in the toaster over on broil until the cheese melts. It is SERIOUSLY amazing."

No comments: