Thursday, July 9, 2009

Trader Joe's Sweet Potato Fries

I would like to interrupt this regularly scheduled domestication blog to plug my new favorite thing: Sweet Potato Fries from Trader Joe's!

I cooked some up with a barbecue chicken breast and omigod, the salt with the sweet, the sweet with the salt. It was awesome. Sweet potatoes seem like an acquired taste for me; they're kind of blah and then one day you have one and it's like, "Sweet Jesus, where have you been hiding? Obviously not in my deep fryer!" They're so healthy, too, that it's a wonder more restaurants don't serve them.

Okay, get back to work.

2 comments:

ashleigh t. said...

Sure, go ahead and throw your delicious SPFs in my face! I went to Trader Js and they didnt freakin have any. I sided with Garlic Fries, and they were way too much-grease & garlic. YUCK! I am so jealous of your SPF fabulousity!

Unknown said...

I have never had the ones from Trader Joe's, but sweet potato fries are one of my favorite snacks to make. Here's what I do: Slice a sweet potato into french fry shaped pieces about 1/3" thick (if I'm feeling lazy or super hungry, I just cut round slices), then fry the pieces in a thin layer of olive oil. Make all the pieces sit flat on the bottom of the pan so they cook evenly and you don't have to use to much oil. Flip 'em and when they look crispy, take them out of the oil and let them drain on a paper towel to get off any excess greasy nastiness. Sprinkle with salt. DONE!

They taste perfectly delicious to me this way, but if you are the kind of person who can't fathom the idea of eating fries sans condiments, try wasabi mayonnaise (wasabi powder, garlic, soy sauce, lemon juice, and sugar).

I also had them once with some sort of yogurt/honey/herb dip that was amazing. Hmm, I'm going to have to try to recreate that.