Friday, July 31, 2009

Margarita Chicken Lettuce Wraps

These are the ingredients for delicious chicken (except maybe fresh cilantro would be 1000 times better): cilantro, tequila and margarita mix. I found this recipe for Margarita Chicken and for some reason thought it would be great in lettuce wraps.

I had looked up recipes for lettuce wraps and, people, every recipe had like 40 ingredients, 38 of which I didn't already have. So I had this idea to make Tex Mex lettuce wraps, with margarita chicken and pico de gallo. Friends, a quick Google search will tell you that I didn't invent the Tex Mex spin on lettuce wraps. 

I decided to cut the chicken into small pieces before cooking it...which is a really weird experience, especially when you add it to margarita mix and tequila. Mmmmm...anyone want a chicken margarita?

I refrigerated this concoction for about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, I whipped together some pico de gallo (once Sean came back from the grocery store when I realized I didn't have any tomatoes): red onions, tomatoes, garlic, lime juice, salt and pepper. Of course, I realized I had a real lime right after I used the bottled juice.

Having never cooked with tequila before, I was in for quite a surprise when the alcohol started bubbling and carmelizing. I stood over the skillet saying to Sean, "Umm...what is happening?" But my instincts kicked in and I just added more of the marinade, which made it carmelize deliciously.

Check it out! Margarita chicken lettuce wraps! I kinda wish I'd had cheese and I definitely wish I had been prepared with a better side than chips and salsa, but it was still a different and tasty meal. 

SIDE NOTE: If you, like Sean, can't stand tequila, you may not want to try this. I figured it wouldn't matter that he doesn't like tequila, but um....carmelized tequila tasted pretty strong. My bad!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks delicious!

Amanda said...

Interesting... I'm really not a fan of tequila so Sean and I might feel similarly about these wraps. :)