Friday, May 8, 2009

From the Mom test kitchen: Spinach Dip



My mother recently got remarried and received a book of recipes from the ladies at her church — a sweet touch, I thought. Today, she's sharing a recipe for spinach dip that happens to come from my favorite English teacher, Sue Fletcher!

* Note: It turns out this is nearly identical to the recipe my grandmother always made, according to my mom.

Spinach Dip from Atlantic Cooknotes
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 pkg of Knorr's vegetable soup mix
  • 1 10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (note: Sue squeezes spinach with hands to get liquid out)
  • 1 8 oz can of water chestnuts, drained and chopped
  • crackers or raw veggies
Directions
  1. Blend yogurt, mayo, soup mix, spinach, and water chestnuts in a blender or food processor. Chill at least 8 hours so that flavors blend. 
  2. To serve: hollow out a pretty head of cabbage or a loaf of pumpernickel bread (reserving bread pieces to use for dipping) and fill with dip.
Umm ... could that get any easier? I sincerely enjoyed this dip when my mom made it, so I can recommend it, even if I don't have a picture.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

This does look easy. I love spinach dip, but I've never made my own before. Even though I think I prefer mine hot, this recipe wouldn't take 15 minutes to make. Definitely worth a try.