Friday, May 22, 2009

From the Massie kitchen


Today's recipe comes from Elizabeth "Betsy" Massie. I met Betsy the first day of kindergarten; she had moved from Michigan and I had moved from New Jersey. She said I was the only one without the Southern accent. I would imagine both of us have fairly thick accents these days. 

About the cake, she says: "Here is my favorite hot fudge cake recipe. If you cook the fudge like it says, you need a VERY large bowl because it bubbles. I usually cook it on high on the stove. 

Oh and another thing. All you need to do to make the cake is the cooked pudding and the cake mix. Don't add eggs or oil or anything else."

Betsy's Hot Fudge Cake

Ingredients
  • 4 oz. chocolate cooked pudding
  • Chocolate cake mix
  • 6 oz or 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
  • 1 stick butter
  • 2 cups confectionary sugar
  • 1 12 oz. can of evaporated milk
  • 1 tsp of vanilla
Directions
Cake:
4oz choc. Cooked pudding
Cook until thick; cool 5 minutes.
Stir in 1 box chocolate cake mix (don't use mixer)
Bake 30 minutes at 350*F.

Fudge:
6oz or ¾ cup milk chocolate chips
1 stick butter (melt)
add 2 cups confectionary sugar
add 1 12 oz can evaporated milk

Cook on medium 18 to 20 minutes in microwave

Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla

Alternatives:
Hot Caramel Cake
Vanilla pudding, yellow cake mix, butterscotch chips 

1 comment:

Amanda said...

This is strikeningly similar to my mom's family Hot Fudge Cake recipe. Only, this recipe is a bit more inventive. My mom's is just a straight box mix.